Monday, August 4, 2008

Week 17: SF Half Marathon..A memento..

.
The volunteer starts handing me the medal. 'Nothing doing', I say, as I lower my head and make her put it round my neck. I have just successfully finished my first ever endurance race, and it feels amazing! And all the Asha runners and my running buddies are there as well. It doesn't get any better than this for an endurance race.

I am cramping. Cramping in my calves and lower hamstrings. Any motion to sit or twist causes causes a violent rebuttal from my muscles. But to hell with it. Nothing is going to block the endorphins from filling my brain. The cramps are now actually enjoyable, a tribute to the sometimes literally uphill struggle of my first ever 13.1 miles. Hugs, high fives and smiles abound and the pain is forgotten, as we all bathe in a sense of achievement I hadn't envisioned possible of me early this year.

There is something about seeing that finish line in the distance, that n shaped float that signifies the end. I can't really explain it. It does not matter if you have hit the proverbial wall or are left enervated by the run. The moment that end is visible, the body just finds that extra reserve of adrenalin that you never knew was there. I sprint towards that finish line, arms raised triumphantly. No amount of drugs or Gu's or Gels can give you that energy. It is a moment to cherish.

I am struggling. I can feel calves cramping mildly and the knees are buckling as we enter Golden Gate park. But this is the point where the crowd really swells. Encouragements and loud shouts of 'you can do it' fill the airwaves and egg me on, as does spotting mile marker 13. I spot Asha members in the crowd and know that the end is near. And then a helpful volunteer points at a white float in the distance and utters the magic words 'you have done it guys, that is the finish line!'.

Hills! Why did it have to be hills! Who had the wise idea to commission the building of this city on rolling hills! Did they look at a mountain range and exclaim 'This looks like a great place to build a city'. Various such thoughts cross my mind between mile 11 and 12.5. The course teases us, as we run up a hill, pray its over when it flattens out, only for another hill to start again. Curses! I am forced to walk up the last hill, running up at this point is impossible.

The view on the downslope is fantastic. Running up after the bridge was hard enough, but now I have to control myself from going too fast. But the misty view of the seashore on the right as we come to mile 11 takes the mind off the discomfort. It's a little hard to control the strides as the downhill is quite steep. I know my knees and calves are taking a pounding here, absorbing the shock of every step. I think they are going to hurt quite a bit soon.

Mile 10 comes without warning. Either they forgot to put in the other mile markers or I just didn't notice them. It's a nice shot in the arm after tackling this slope. It's not too steep but it just seems to keep going. I thought the course would flatten out after the Golden Gate bridge, but I was wrong. I hope it's the last one. Short strides and use the arms, I keep telling myself, knowing that whatever goes up must eventually come down.

The run up and down the Golden Gate bridge is fantastic. They have blocked off two lanes just for the runners, probably the only time of the year those vehicular lanes are open for people to run on. Passing cars and honking and waving. The atmosphere and view is amazing, with a slightly misty SF skyline in the distance. What's also fantastic is watching and waving to the other Asha runners as they pass by in the opposite lane. There is great camaraderie in the air as we egg each other on. I shout out to Balu and high-five Saumil on the way. I don't see Snehal, Shailesh or Mahesh and assume they must be right behind me. Mentors Arun and Mouli are at the start of the bridge, taking pictures and shouting encouragement. This feels great!

This slope is steep. It's like like paying your dues before being allowed to run on the Golden Gate bridge. In lieu of the toll you will run up 250 feet. A clever sign at the top says "Wouldn't you rather be running 'up' this slope?". Rrright!

This run is fantastic and very familiar. Kudos as usual to the awesome Asha team for organizing a run at Crissy field. It's great preparation for running here, as you know exactly what to look for and where you are in the run. For me, it means knowing where to take my second p break. This is going to mess my time a bit, but I don't really care. I do need to find a balance between drinking too much water before the race and not worrying about getting dehydrated.

And we're off! The emcee shouts encouragement as everyone takes off in a wave. I have never run with so many runners at once before. Its great to see so many different faces, shapes, sizes and countries running. One person is running with signs stapled all over his jersey. One person is running in a Spartan costume. One person has the flag of Canada tattooed on both his calves, no mistaking where he's from. I quickly lose Saumil and Balu in the large crowd, but its ok. I am going to run my normal long run pace here, which is anyway slower than those two. I am trotting along quite nicely, enjoying the run and the views and the smells, and the Fort Mason slope, once already conquered, holds no terror whatsoever. But who knows what lies ahead!

Waking up at 3am was never this easy frankly, as the anticipation of the day ahead has messed with sleep already (That and three helpful wakeup calls from my running buddies). A seemingly short bus ride later, we're at the embarcadero, greeted with a sea of humanity. There are so many Asha runners there, it's fantastic. I meet Medha, who I have to thank for introducing this to me in the first place. But first order of business, the potty line. Second, the sweats check. Then a warm up run to the start of wave 6. The loudspeakers are blaring, people are jogging in place or jumping up and down. Everybody is excited to be part of this. In this month of the Olympics, I cant wait to start running and get a medal at the finish. I will make sure the person doesn't just hand it over to me but puts it squarely around my neck.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely writing Parag! Keep up the disciplined efforts! You are looking really fit...

~Mohit