Saturday, July 19, 2008

Week 15: The Golden Gate


Crissy Field! Have you heard of it? Maybe not. Even after years of living in the bay area, neither had I. So when someone said we have to run this week in Crissy Field, San Francisco, I groaned a little bit about going so far. But then, I got a pat on the head and a vivid description of the running location. To save a 1000 words, it was here.. (photo courtesy Praveen)



Where do I sign? We would be running on trails and roads next to the ocean with sailboats in the water, a cool sea breeze in the air and the Golden Gate bridge looming in the distance. I couldn't wait.

We carpooled to the waiting area in Crissy Field. It was as cold as San Francisco could get in summer (which is a LOT) so we could not wait to get started. Today we are running 13 miles, almost half a marathon.

The run starts off great. The views on the way definitely help make it a little easier. The first two miles out are towards Fisherman's wharf. Turning back from there, we run all the way to the base of the bridge as in the photo above. Suffice to say, the views are fantastic.

Here are some photos from the run (thanks to Shiva again for getting a camera).
.





Our carpool group. Yes, it's brrrr cold. Note the sailboats in the background.



This time, the first 11 miles are not too bad. But I struggle a little bit on the last two. My legs have a peculiar feeling to them, as if all the flesh's been stripped away and there are just bones and joints for support (and even these feel like all the lubrication is gone and they need an oil change). My knees hurt and joints are getting noisier with every step (like breaking knuckles). I finish the run, but I cant go through my range of stretches, because at the end of the stretch, the muscles are rebelling and cramping, especially the hamstrings. I ask coach what's going on. It seems I have to increase my potassium intake, which means even more bananas and Gatorade.

Oh well, at least I didn't dehydrate.


No comments: